Friday, 11 November 2011

CAUGHT LIVE [1]: IT'S ONLY ROCK 'N' ROLL

Hello ... Hello ... my old friends ... It's great to see you once again! It was my great pleasure last might to once again venture over to 'The Robin2 R 'n' B Club' in Bilston; Wolverhampton with Christian 'Movember' Evans to check out: "It's Only Rock 'n' Roll" for the very first time.

I have to admit that I didn't know what to expect at first. In my mind's eye I expected a kind of fifties and sixties variety show but what I witnessed was so much more. I think every kind of musical style that emerged from Birmingham in those halcyon days not a few decades ago was showcased last night!

Bev 'Bullfrog' Bevan; Raymond 'Froggie' Froggatt; Geoff Turton; Trevor Burton; Danny King; Hartley Cain; Tony Kelsey; Phil Tree and Brian Badhams contrived and combined to produce a superb musical spectacle where songs from Roy Orbison to Gary Puckett were on show.

Ultimately; the show was underpinned by the great percussion of Bev Bevan and the splendid guitar work of Trevor Burton and Tony Kelsey. But if I were to select my favourite performances of the night - they would be "Hey Joe"; "I Saw Her Standing There"; "I Can Hear The Grass Grow"; "Fire Brigade" and "Something Else".

However, the real peaks of an emotional night were the dedication of that great Buddy Holly song: "True Love Ways" to the late great Kelly Groucutt and the encore rendition of: "Blackberry Way" to the sorely missed Carl Wayne. Add to that fond recollections of great times with Jimi Hendrix and the recently departed Roger Hill and the night was complete.

ELOBF endorses and recommends: "It's Only Rock 'n' Roll" to all music fans who like the: ELO; 'The Move' and 'The Beatles' genres in particular. And should this fantastic show rolls into a venue or theatre near you - Go buy a ticket or three!

Until next "Time" in the ELO [and related] universe ... KJS ... 11-Nov-2011

No comments:

Post a Comment